Ghost in the Shell Arise

A forum dedicated to reporting and discussing Anime and Manga style media
(Please use the search option before requesting a review as it may have been covered in the past)

Ghost in the Shell Arise

Postby Yosuke » Mon Feb 18, 2013 9:59 pm

http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/20 ... s-outlined

Looks like it is getting another series... well mini-series this year. It has the trailer on that link.
"In war, the soldier's job is to send their enemies to heaven as they stay behind in hell." -anonymous
Yosuke

Re: Ghost in the Shell Arise

Postby Kishin » Tue Feb 19, 2013 5:52 am

Wish I could get excited about it. Every GiTs thing since the original has been overly convoluted and less enjoyable. Plus whoever they have doing the character designs on this latest one needs to be taken out and beaten for making Motoko look so awful with that badly hacked hair helmet. Yes I'll probably buy the damned thing. :P
"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today. But the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all." - Isaac Asimov
Kishin
Fembot Central Staff

Postby WilloWisp » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:35 am

Ghost in the Shell is a weird phenomenon. I honestly can't tell if the plots are impenetrable and vague due to poor storytelling, or to better convey the fact that augmented humans can "keep up," mentally and physically, far better than normal humans, illustrating to the viewer the immense pressure and near necessity to at least augment the mind.
WilloWisp

Postby Saya » Tue Feb 19, 2013 8:21 am

Kishin wrote:Wish I could get excited about it. Every GiTs thing since the original has been overly convoluted and less enjoyable. Plus whoever they have doing the character designs on this latest one needs to be taken out and beaten for making Motoko look so awful with that badly hacked hair helmet. Yes I'll probably buy the damned thing. :P

The only GitS anime I ever got really confused with was Innocence, mostly because I just got lost in the awesome visuals (the fact that it was a Japanese dub might have helped some as well), but it took me about three viewings before I figured out what was going on. Stand Alone Complex was really one of the few animes I watched regularly, and I think the episodic format helps some. It also happens to cover a lot of things that I find fascinating (transhumanisim, information warfare, geopolitics), so for me the only part that really makes my head spin is when the characters go on long sphiels about philosophy.

I think there are two kinds of GitS fans out there. Those who enjoy the plot for being, if admittedly obtuse, full of interesting characters and plots. Then you have those who are there for the great visuals and action scenes. Not saying one is wrong and one is right, mind you. I lean more towards the second myself. :p
"Machines smart enough to do anything for us will probably also be able to do anything with us: go to dinner, own property, compete for sexual partners. They might even have passionate opinions about politics or, like the robots on Battlestar Galactica, even religious beliefs." - Fred Hapgood
Saya

Postby Yosuke » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:42 am

Lol yeah innocence got me too. I had to watch twice to get a sense of it.

Apparently this new series takes place before Makoto joins section 9, which Ghost in the Shell's second season touched slightly. I am assuming that the show will take place towards the end of World War III.
"In war, the soldier's job is to send their enemies to heaven as they stay behind in hell." -anonymous
Yosuke

Postby Saya » Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:21 pm

Yosuke wrote:Lol yeah innocence got me too. I had to watch twice to get a sense of it.

Apparently this new series takes place before Makoto joins section 9, which Ghost in the Shell's second season touched slightly. I am assuming that the show will take place towards the end of World War III.

I was going to mention that I thought it was a prequel when I saw Aramaki's hair was brown instead of gray, but didn't want to go leaping off into random fan speculation. :p That, and in general, Motoko looks a fair bit younger herself, though that's pretty irrelevant when you're talking about a cyborg body. Still, I look forward to reading someone's review of the series before I go watch it myself.
"Machines smart enough to do anything for us will probably also be able to do anything with us: go to dinner, own property, compete for sexual partners. They might even have passionate opinions about politics or, like the robots on Battlestar Galactica, even religious beliefs." - Fred Hapgood
Saya

Postby A.N.N. » Mon Mar 04, 2013 8:32 am

I'm with you Saya. I've always like all the GiTS media (manga and video), though Innocence was the hardest to understand and it was a bit slow (for me). I suppose I fall into both camps, the ones that like the action and I like the complex plot and philosophy. I also like the Cyborg stuff, a lot. :D

I thought that the 2 seasons of SAC and Solid State Society were pretty straight forward compared to Innocence. Admittedly the plots make better sense on a second viewing.

Regardless, I'm excited about anything new in GiTS. But I hope they keep the same music guy from SAC.
A.N.N.
A.N.N.

Postby --Battery-- » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:43 am

a prequel.
prequels are hard to take seriously.
but its alright, at least GiTS has an interesting backstory with american empire,global warming, holy catholic russia and stuff like that.
the characters are interesting and the tech that is featured in the show is always amazing, even if the plot gets political and confusing.
the world needs science fiction though.
so this is FTW :)

this motoko sure is skinny
Last edited by --Battery-- on Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
--Battery--

Postby Kishin » Fri Mar 08, 2013 5:47 am

BATTERY! Come out of hiding and rejoin us!
"Individual science fiction stories may seem as trivial as ever to the blinder critics and philosophers of today. But the core of science fiction, its essence has become crucial to our salvation, if we are to be saved at all." - Isaac Asimov
Kishin
Fembot Central Staff

Next

Return to Reports (Anime & Manga)